In anticipation of our First Monday demo in March the staff wanted to share one of our favorite pressure cooker recipes courtesy of Kuhn Rikon. If you are in the area, March 2, 2009, join us from 4:00 to 7:00 pm. We will be featuring wonderful spring recipes using the pressure cooker.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms, OR 1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms, chopped and soaked to rehydrate
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup dried tomatoes, chopped and soaked to rehydrate
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
Fresh herbs - rosemary, basil or thyme to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a 2-quart Pressure Frypan or larger pressure cooker, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add rice, stirring often, until lightly golden.
- Add mushrooms, stir to mix.
- Add wine, stir to mix. Add tomatoes and broth. Increase heat to high.
- Stir in fresh herb of choice. Continue to stir until mixture comes to a boil.
- Close lid and bring pressure to first red ring over high heat. Adjust heat to stabilize pressure at first red ring. Cook for 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and use Cold Water Release Method.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- If you double this recipe, only increase the broth to 3 1/2 cups.
- To get a rich, creamy taste, add butter or cream to embellish the recipe.